So, once you say you can speak another language, this seems to be the green light for all your friends and family to think you know everything and anything about that language. You know this isn’t true. You don’t even know everything about your own language. People don’t seem to realise how much hard work goes into learning a language. Annoyingly, they may seem to say some of the following things:
- How do you say … in your language?
- I’m not a dictionary
- Go look it up
- I’m LEARNING the language, I don’t know everything!!!!!
- I learnt how to say … using Google translate, I don’t understand why you don’t just use that all the time.
- Context, all about the context
- I don’t even know why you’re bothering, everyone speaks (insert language here) anyway
- Are you serious?!
- Could you be any more ignorant?!
- You may think everyone speaks (insert language here) but you are really wrong!
- You must be fluent by now?
- HA!! I wish
- Miracles don’t exist
- Maybe after 30 years…
However, maybe the worst thing that someone can say is:
- So you have said something in the language you’re learning and they reply in your native language…perfectly
- Slight kick in the teeth
- They speak your language so well, how is this possible?!
- Why did I even bother…
Remember, you’re learning, not only a new language, but also some patience.
Leave A Comment